Friday, August 03, 2007

Bed Trouble / Tuk Tuk Cons

As my body clock was still out I woke up at 4.30am to discover my bed was crawling with bed bugs ahhh!!! The first I saw was a little one but when i searched my covers I found two big moma's so went on a tissue squashing mission to rid my bed of the little critters.

I was half debating whether to go and change my room, but it was 5am in the morning and I really couldn't be bothered. Fortunately I had brought my silk sleeping liner so got that out and slept in that instead - I couldn't find any more bugs but that still didn't help me get off to sleep as I was opening my eyes every couple of minutes to check the little buggers hadn't come back.

I slept through till 9am when I eventually got to sleep and shot downstairs to get some brekkie, then it was straight to the service desk to inform them of my bed bug encounter - I got my room changed, I just hope this time my bed is free of bugs!

As it was only a short walk away I headed down to have a look at the Democracy Monument first and then I planned to look at the nearby sights. You will not believe the amount of thai's that come up to you for what starts off as an innocent chat and really is them leading up to telling you to get a tuk tuk to wherever your next point of call is, I refused on a number of occassions but in the end thought I would give it a go as the tuk tuk driver was only going to charge me 20 BHT (65 BHT = 1 GBP) and said he was going to take me on this fabulous trip to different places - yea right!!

After the first stop he goes on to tell me he needs me to go and have a look in this shop for 5 to 10 mins, which is no other than a tailors as they will give him money. I just point blank refused to go and have a look at all and he got in a grump and told me to get off ha ha! Well it was a free trip on a tuk tuk anyway and it didn't take me too long to work out my bearings and head for the Wat Saket (Golden Mount) on foot!!

The Golden Mount was pretty impressive and I had to walk up a spiral set of stairs to reach the top where I had to pay a 10 BHT entrance fee so I could go up to the peak which had an awesome view over Bangkok. Shoes were not allowed so I was making sure I wasn't in the heat for too long as it was baking my feet.

I then made my way over to The Grand Palace to have a look around. This place is just covered in gold, statues and other sparkly expensive things which i took photos of. There was also a coin and precious things museum to look around and some other temple's which had thrones in which looked well nice but no photography was allowed god dammit!



Lastly I headed just around the corner from the Palace to the Wat Po (Reclining Buddha) and this was a big Buddha! The Buddha's shoes were encrusted with mother of pearl which looked pretty swish. This is one lazy Buddha hence the name the reclining Buddha as it is lyning down inside its temple which is just about big enough to fit it in.

Once i had finished at the Wat Po I started to make my way back to Kao San Road to get something to eat from a street vendor again as I was feeling quite hungry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

testing testing 1 2 3

Anonymous said...

steVe says "Great so far Kev. Any chance of some photos of the bed bugs?"