Monday, August 13, 2007

Ayathaya / Overnight Train

It was a good few hours journey to Ayathaya by local bus until we reached our destination, which was Sherwood House. The room was ours for the day so we could drop off our stuff, have a shower and get some food before we set off to catch the night train to Chang Mai.

Their was a local guide who took us to the main sights in Ayathaya, which included the Buddha head in the tree next to the old temple ruins, the Wat Mahathat that had a kool wax model off an old Buddhist teacher and had bats hanging from the ceiling at the top.

I was pretty much templed out at this point but I guess it filled the time when we were there and was quite interesting as the guide was very informative – my Buddhist colour is yellow as I was born on a Monday ( I also have a specific Buddha but I forget which it is).

We then went back to the accommodation to shower and order some food to take with us as our train was at 7.20 so I just ordered a cheese and ham baguette as it was easy to carry and wouldn't go cold.

By the time we got there we had a good hour to kill before the train so I went to have a quick snack at the nearby floating restaurant for a soup, which took ages to come and in the end I had to scoff it quickly to get back to the platform. On the menu it had said the soup is served with a roll which it didn't come with, but when queried I was presented with two slices of toast and this was when i was paying!

We made a dash for the platform briefly stopping off at the 7eleven for some beer to consume on the journey. We actually thought the train was at 7.30 so turned up then, but it was apparently 7.20 and everyone else was fretting. As it turned out the train was about an hour and a half late so we were sat twiddling our thumbs for a bit.

The night train is actually quite kool as I was unsure what to expect but there was plenty of space and the beds weren't half bad! I managed to get some good sleep anyway so I was quite impressed.

No comments: