Monday, August 13, 2007

Elephant Trek


Today we set of with our trekking gear for a 3 day trek through the jungle to a hill tribe village where we would meet the local people. We had arranged to meet the kids on the last night so took a trip to the market to buy some small gifts that we could give them. I bought some small figurines of some kind of robot and monster.

It was then a couple of hours in the back of a pickup to take an elephant trek which I was really looking forward to. We had to wait a little while once we got there and bought some bananas and bamboo shoots to feed the elephant I was going on.

The elephants looked awesome when they appeared from the jungle and I started getting ready to get on. It was two to an elephant and I had a bit of trouble trying to keep my long legs from touching the elephant but I managed in the end. There was a guy sitting on the elephant's head who was controlling him and he had what looked like a dowel that he was occasionally prodding the elephants head with to make him do something.

The ride was really good fun and there were a couple of times where elephant's would pull down trees or stop for a rub up against a tree which was quite amusing. I was trying to take photos which proved fairly difficult due to the movement of the elephant and trying to keep a steady hand but I managed to get a couple of good shots. Feeding the elephant was fun, it would raise it's trunk and start making sniffing noises so I would pop a banana on its trunk and before you could blink it was back up again wanting more.

I bought one of the photos that they had taken afterwards as it was really cheap and it came in a really nice frame. We then stopped for lunch before meeting our porters and guides for the jungle trek. Everyone paid 200 BHT for the porters to carry enough water for us for the three days as I certainly wasn't going to carry loads of water with me as it would way a ton and take up too much space in my bag!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kev

Sorcha will be really jealous that you have ridden an elephant. She and Steve have gone across today to Tamworth, back tomorrow eve (Tues). Any luck finding your specs?

Love MUM xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin,
The elephant ride sounded like great fun. Glad to know your little bed mates are not putting in an appearance still.
Emma came yesterday to say goodbye and to pick up your spare glasses.
She was looking in your bag for them but we eventually found them on your shelf - so all is OK and she has them with her.Will look forward to seeing the pics when you get the chance to put thm on - look forward to seeing you perched on a Jumbo :-) Take care - Love Dad xx

Anonymous said...

ps to last message - looked at your arrival time home on the 30th ( yes I know your not thinking about that yet :-) but I need to know the terminal - so when you get a minute let me know so I can be at the right place on the day.
Love Dad xx