Sunday, August 03, 2008

Sofia Shenanigans...

Yesterday we didn't do an awful lot just had a walk around to see what was about, grabbed some lunch and sat in a few bars to have beer!!! The beer in Bulgaria is cheap as chips, about 60p a pint so a drastic difference from Istanbul so our money is going a lot further, in fact for the 3 days we are here I only withdrew the equivalent of 30 quid and I'm hoping that should see me through.

Today we thought we better get in some sight seeing so headed for the marked buildings on the map - I have no idea what there called as it didn't say on the map, though the roads were labelled in English but again it wasn't much help as all the road signs were not haha!!

The places we visited were really impressive and beautiful to look at, and best of all we came across a little market which was selling really old stuff like cameras, radios, badges and other old stuff from from the war as there was lots of Nazi things which were intriguing!!!

So we wandered about a bit and explored a few more of the side streets and got another beer as we needed a rest from all the sights we saw (approx 3). It was not about 1pm and we still hadn't eaten so went to this vegetarian place that was recommended to us as it was 7 leve all you can eat (about 2 pounds 50) and was absolutely awesome, I stuffed myself silly!

We then headed back to the hostel and Matt went for a sleep so I went on my own little adventure to see what I could find. I decided to go down to the end of town where there was a big open park area where there was a museum, which ended up being closed as it is Sunday but is was nice to walk around the park and watch the people pass through. Later we both went back to have a few beers and enjoy the view, when we got luckily -- Matt spotted a 50 sheet lying on the floor and pointed out to me! I am always cautious about picking up money on the floor because I expect it to be a trick where some kids have it attached by a hook to the end of some fishing line and start to reel it in once I bend down the get it so a gave it a couple of kicks before I went for the plunge to grab it. If it were a wallet or something I would have handed it in, but I knew if I handed in a 50 leve note whoever I handed it too would pocket it and the original owner would never get there hands on it again so I went my the motto "finders keepers".

Well quids in, we were 50 leve up which sorted us a nice meal and drinks for the evening. We went to a traditional Bulgarian restaurant and got an awesome meal and a traditional Bulgarian dink called Raikya which is a clear spirit, kinda like Japanese sake and tasted quite nice. After that we had a bit of a walk around and went back to the hostel as we were both really full and couldn't squeeze anything else in.

We're planning on leaving Sofia tomorrow to train it to Bucharest in Romania, but we need to get up early and go to the train station as we still haven't reserved our seats and we want a sleeping cabin again so hopefully it will all go to plan!

1 comment:

steviebaby said...

Wow - 50 Lev - what find! You'll be able to stay in Sofia for the whole summer.

That market sounds fantastic. There is a huge demand for Nazi memorabilia in the UK. I reckon we should start up an import/export business. Some excellent photos, keep 'em coming.