Sunday, July 10, 2005

RLS Museum Then Home

Today was my birthday by date but it didnt really feel like my birthday and I didnt think of it as my birthday. I had to check out of the hostel by 10am and then leave my bag there as my flight to LA wasn't until 1am the next day. Jason was leaving today and there was no-one else about so I went on my own little adventure. I decided to go and see the Robert Louis Stevenson Museum and Grave (He was the guy who wrote Treasure Island and Jekyll & Hyde).

There was a really long drive leading up to the house and on my way I met a woman called vivian who was travelling with her two kids. She was from the UK so I got chatting to her and went on the tour around RLS's house. It was a guided tour which lasted about 10mins and then I was able to go around the house again at my leisure and look around a bit closer. The house had been restored to its original glory and made into a museum which was now owned by some rich american guy. To be honest I havn't actually read any of his books though I kind of know the stories but anyway it was still quite interesting. After I had finished wandering around the house I started the walk up to the gravestone which was located on the top of a bill hill next to the house which took about 40mins to walk to. I took the short route but It was super steep so was a lot harder on the legs but I eventually made it and got to see the amazing view from the top. I was slightly out of breath from the climb so lay down in the shade and relaxed for a while.

I took the long route on the way down which was better but still pretty steep, god knows how they god that gravestone up there!! When I got back to the house I met back up with Vivian and tagged along to go and see the B'hai (something like that) Temple which was a short cab journey up the road. The temple and the grounds were really impressive it looked kind of futuristic, anyway we didnt stay there too long as we wern't really interested about the religion.

This place was out the way of everything so it was unlikely that a bus was going to pass by and there were no taxis about. Luckily someone pulled in and offered us a lift into the town so we all clambered into the back of this van sitting on the floor and had an uncomfortable but free ride back into town where I made my way back to the hostel.

I had a few hours to kill before my shuttle came so I made some dinner and then went and sat in the lounge area. There was absolutely no-one around as everyone had left, so it was just me sitting on my own twiddling my thumbs waiting until 10pm with only the girl working on reception to talk to. When I got to the airport I was pretty much straight through, so paid my departure fee and waited until boarding.

No comments: