Sunday, July 10, 2005

Sliding Rocks

My third day in Samoa was a Sunday which meant everything ceased for church. All the shops were closed and there were not many people around as they were all at church or home with their families. The taxis were running though so we decided to go and check out the sliding rocks which wern't too far away.

There was me, Jason and a few other people from our hostel that decided to come along so it was a full taxi. There were quite a lot of steps to conquer before getting down to the rocks and the hand rails had been generously donated by australia haha or so it said. The rocks and pools were really nice, and the sliding rock looked pretty dangerous so Me and Jason decided to wait and see someone else do it before we attempted it. Luckily there were a few people already there who demonstrated for us so we decided to give it a shot. The sliding rock is part of a river than runs over it causing it to get really slippy, you had to sit just left of the waterfall as the rock was smoother and lean forward as not to do your back any damage.

Sliding down the rock felt really smooth and within a couple of seconds you hit the pool below plunging underneath the waterfall. After a few goes I realised holding my nose when I went down was a good move as I kept getting water up my nose. There were a few other slides which looked a bit harder, but the water below was really shallow so I didnt bother to give them a go.

After spending a couple of fun hours there we all got a taxi back to the hostel and then Me and Jason went down to the Marine Reserve again as it was such a nice day. Surprisingly it was really busy, mainly tourists and probably because it was a sunday too plus the weather was great. I went for another snorkel and the sea was soo warm it was beautiful. After we had finished up there it was back to the hostel for food and beer as I was kind of celebrating my birthday seeing as it really was my birthday, back home it was anyway!

No comments: