Sunday, April 24, 2005

Big Buddah

Ok today I had planned to go to Nara, Jan and Martin were both leaving today for Tokyo so exchanged emails and went to grab some brekkie with Martin before my train. For some reason everywhere was closed near by possibly because it was a sunday or maybe because we were a bit too early. Anyway we went to the station and got some bakery yum yum. Said my goodbyes and boarded the train to Nara.

It was only 40 mins so just put on my mp3 player. When I arrived at the station I check at the info office that everything was in walking distance and set off. I ended up at the five storied pagoda first where there were loose deer everywhere it was wikkid. Got some guy to take a pic of me next to a deer which was really kool. I then headed for the Big Buddah!!! This was in Todagi Temple and absolutely huge it was monumental. After I had stared in amazement for a while I went for a walk and passed my a big hill called Wakakusayama that i decided to climb which in retrospect I think was a bad idea as It completely knackered me out. I got to the top of the hill and the view was outstanding, I perched myself on the top and cracked open a beer to celebrate my hike. After a while I could feel myself gradually slipping down and was now about 30 inches from where I had first sat. After I finished my beer I went back down found a bench in the park and had a rest and nearly fell asleep so forced myself to get up and wander about. After a nice long walk I got back to Nara station and took the train to Horyuji where the worlds oldest surviving wooden structures reside. Cost me a whopping 1000 yen but It was worth it I guess. Its only a fiver anyway!

Tomorrow Im going in Himeji to see the castle and see what happens after that.

No comments: