Saturday, April 16, 2005

Touchdown

Im finally in Japan!!!! My flight was ok, the plane wasn't that full at all so I ended up having a whole row to myslef. There were loads more films on than it said on the website but I only ended up watching collateral and oceans 12 as I tried so many times to get some sleep. I even tried listening to bob marley but that didnt work either so I have now been up for 28hrs and feel absolutely knackered. The sick bags on Virgin are awesome, apparently there limited edition but had really kool artwork on them so I took all the ones in my row!

Anyway I was really tired when I arrived in Tokyo and to make things slightly worse after looking at my accommodation reservation I realised I was unable to check into my hotel until 4pm, so decided to spend the day in Ueno Park to pass the time until I could unload all my stuff. I had a stroll through the park looking at the cherry blossoms and street performers but had to keep stopping for a rest as my bag was feeling heavier and I couldnt hack walking with it on my back.

I thought Id add a bit of culture to the start of my trip so went and had a look in the Tokyo Museum which was pretty interesting but best of all on the way in the security guard took my bag from me and put it in the store room until I had finished so that gave my back a bit of a rest. I also had a look in the Zoo at Ueno park and couldnt believe all the animals they had, polar bears, pandas, rhinos, hippos, elephants, monkeys, basically you name it they had it!

By this time I had spent quite a few hours in Tokyo and had kept seeing loads of people with masks on (The kind that you put over your nose and mouth) and was wondering what was going on!! I got speaking to this guy jules who has been an english teacher in japan for six years and informed me it was because this time of year is when people are prone to hayfever, I thought there was some kind of epidemic!

I successfully got to my hotel anyway which is ok, havn't really seen many people around yet though. I think im going to make a trip to Yoyogi park tomorrow, but now Im going to go find myself some food before I call it a night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey mate glad you had a safe flight, don't go drinking too much Saki! Also I thought the masks were because of the SARS virus? Not to worry you, you should get one though just in case lol!

Anonymous said...

hi, hows it going? What did you get upto today then? I was wondering what is the temperature like in Japan? Those masks you might want to get one for my Dad lol. Anyway I had better get of and do some college work....cya later mate, have fun :OD

Anonymous said...

Hope you had a good time in
japan, i have left a comment further down.