Friday, April 29, 2005

Sentosa Island

Today I decided to take a trip to Sentosa Island which is off the south coast of singapore about a stones throw away. I got I ticket which gave me a round trip in a cable car to get there and back and entry to some of the attractions on the island. While I was trying to figure out how to get to the cable cars there were a group of girls also trying to find the way so I got talking to them. We managed to find the entrance and I shared the cable car with the over to Sentosa Island.

The ride in the cable cars was really good, I had read they had perspex bottoms so you could look beneath the car but you had to pay extra for that which was typical. Anyway I arrived at Sentosa and departed from the girls as they were heading for the beach and I wanted to go do the things my ticket gave me entry to. The first was the Carlsberg Sky Tower, which was basically a revolving room that went up so high. It looked similar to those revolving restaurants and gave a nice view across the Island. The next attraction I went to was The Merlion, it you hadn't worked it out a cross between a lion and a mermaid. This is Singapores kinda symbol and I watched a short movie of why, I cant remember why now but something to do with liosn and mermaids :)

When you entered they gave you a coin which was apparently a lucky coin, you put it into a merlions mouth and out came a ticket by magic stating I had won prize B. Prize B turned out to be a fan which also double up as a compass and thermometer, I guess It wasn't that lucky for me as I ended up breaking it within a matter of minutes. Anyway you could get the lift to the top of the merlion and look at the view from the top, you could also go down to its mouth and look out from there. On my way between the two I bumped in Heather the girl I had met a couple of days before at the Hotel I am staying at so I hung out with her for the rest of the day.

My last ticket was for Fort Siloso which was an actual fort used in World War II by British troops who ended up surrendering to the Japanese in 1942. Had a walking tour around there which was ok but too many stairs and hills for me. Got an ice-cream and jumped on the bus back to the beach.

Siloso beach looked so nice, and the sea was warm which was a bonus. I had a nice swim in the sea which so good as the heat was ridiculous I couldnt even walk on the sand for too long. After the swim on the beach I went to get a shower and got changed, as I came out I would hear some noise near-by which sounded like a show. We headed over for a look and saw a monkey slam dunking a basketball!!

As soon as we saw it was a monkey I we went to watch the show. Its pretty impressive the stuff monkeys can do. After the show anyone could go up and get a photo with the monkeys wooooo, I had a monkey on my shoulder and I have a photo to prove it. They were pig tail monkeys or something like that and had really big red bums.

After we had finished with the monkeys we both decided it was time to get something to eat so went on the search for a restaurant. We got off at a bus stop as the driver told us there were eating places near-by. Unfortunately the all you can eat buffet didnt open until 5.30 and it was only 4.40 so we went and got a drink. This restauarant had a really nice setting over the sea, and the food was pretty good too. They had this steamboat theme where as you had a pot of water which was lid from underneath to boil it, they then had uncooked seafood like prawns and fish fillet etc that you put in and cooked yourself It was kool.

After our meal we went back to the cable car place and I remembered there was this musical fountain display thing so we went to investigate. I think we got there just at the right time as I think they may only do this show once a night. It was quite impressive the had big water sprays which they then projected images onto that were animated it was really clever.

Im back at the Hotel now and really need to take a shower as I have had sweat dripping from my face all day, you probably didnt need to know that but I though I would tell you anyway. Not sure what my plans are tomorrow as my flight to Melbourne is at 11.40pm im sure I will find something to do. I doubt I will have much news tomorrow so my next post is likely to be when im in Oz.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kev

Remember not to sit on your boarding pass.

Mary Ann

magickev said...

Haha yea I will avoid sitting on it this time.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kev,

Really sorry i havn't posted much its just the damn school has blocked your site! i will only be albe to post on mon and fri. sorry dude!

p.s you should of put me in the
suitcase to take with you.

Anonymous said...

yea, that message was from me above!!