Thursday, April 21, 2005

Drinking with the Locals / Kyoto

After I posted my blog last night I met Thomas and we decided to go get something to eat. We couldnt be bothered to go very far so thought we would stay local. It was 10.30 so most places were shut but we evetually came across a little place that had kareoke so though we would give it a go. We walked up some stairs and came to a room which was very traditional we had to take off our shoes to enter and sat on cushions in front of really low tables. I didnt fancy much to eat as I had got something earlier so just ordered fried potatoes. When I got them they wernt really what I was expecting as I got a plate of chips! I also ordered some sake as I hadnt indulged in any yet. We ate our food and the Thomas sang some japanese song on the kareoke, ο½”here were some japanese business men on a table near by - the only other people in the place. They were pretty jolly and started to sing along with Thomas it was pretty funny. As thomas can speak japanese he started talking to them and the invited us to join them for a drink. This was really kool as we were sat round the table drinking japanese sake at their expense, unfortunately the place was shutting so we only had time for one drink otherwise I think we would have been drinking their money all night.

Today I had to check out of the Joyoh Hotel by 10 so sorted out all my stuff then went and jumped on the computer for a while. Thomas was also checking out so we decided to go get some lunch before we left. We went o this place around the corner that sold lunchboxes and I dont mean the plastic ones kids take to school. These were boxes that had a small meal in them that are very in popular in Japan. It was only 280yen and was really big certainly filled me up. I then went and got the bullet train from Tokyo to Kyoto. This was about a 3hr journey but It passed pretty quickly and I managed to get a few shots of Mt Fuji when we passed it. Im at J-hoppers now which seems pretty nice, looks like theres three other people in the dorm though I havnt seen anyone around yet I guess they are still out in Kyoto. This place also has one of those super loos the ones that are heated and have loads of buttons on it looks awesome. Anyway Im going to go have a walk around and find something to eat!

No comments: