Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Wet Feet In Nikko

Well I didn't quite get that early night i had planned as I was on the computer sorting out my pics and then had a few beers with Thomas in the Hotel lounge. Then two guys i had met the previuos day called Andy and Neil came back from their day out so caught up with them. By the time I knew it I was heading off to bed at 2am.

I got up about 8.30 but couldnt exchange my Japan rail pass voucher until 10.30am when the travel office at Ueno station opened. I got that sorted out and reserved a seat on the shinkansen bullet train to Utsonomiya which left at 11.30 and took about 5omins. This was the first JR station I had been to and I found it a bit confusing. I was looking out for a sign that said utsonomiya but couldnt find one anywhere and I didnt know where to stand when the train came in to get in my reserved carriage. I got pointed in the direction but then the train came in which was a double decker and i got even more confused so rushed to ask again, in the end I got on the train just in time and it was the right one phew! At utsonomiya I then had to chage on to the local nikko likne which took another 50mins.

When I arrived at nikko it was raining so I put on my coat and went to look for info as I didnt have a clue where to go. Fortunately I spoke to someone who informed me that a 2min walk up the road was an information office that had maps etc so i made my way there in the rain. I picked up the maps and started my 15min walk to the main shrines and temples. Everyone else seemed to have umbreallas but me so I decided it would be a good Idea to go get one. This took quite a while but eventually I came across a shop selling unbrellas though by this time I was pretty wet.

I didnt know before hand but there was fees to see the differnt shrines and temples which set me back about 2,000 in total but nevermind. The shrines and temples were all really nice but If youve seen one youve seen them all as the saying goes. I seemed to keep stepping in puddles and slipping which made my trainers even more wet, plus there suede material so not the best in wet weather. You had to take off your shoes to go in the temples, so I was making trails of wet footprints everywhere I went.

When I got back to the hotel I took the hair dryer to them which worked wonders and I now have dry trainers again although I think I broke the hairdryer from overusage as it just went off and wouldnt switch on again. Handed that back in promptly!

Im off to Kyoto tommorrow where I will be spending my next 5 nights. Im staying at J-hoppers in a mixed dorm, all the reviews Ive read about the place have all been good so it should be ok.

No comments: