Thursday, April 28, 2005

Night Safari

Got woken up nice and early today by thunder and heavy rainfall, but it was too early so went back to sleep for a while. Stuffed myself again at the buffet breakfast to last until dinner time, then waited for the bus to take me down to the MRT station at the bottom of the road.

I decided first off I would visit Chinatown before going to the Botanical Gardens. I got to chinatown and straight away there were poeple trying to sell me stuff especially suits. Every time I walked past a tailors they try and get me in the shop by asking where I was from and offering me there bussiness card. I didint want to be rude by ignoring them but It was the only way to stop them hassling me. After a while this got really annoying to I jumped back on the train back to Orchard station, where I got a bus to the Botanical Gardens. There was some construction work being done to part of the gardens and I was told the entrance was up the road. This road ended up being a trek and a half it just took so long to get to the entrance gate! The Gardens were free to get in to but you had to pay an entrance fee if you wanted to go into the Orchid Garden. The Orchid Garden was quite good and had some nice looking orchids in it. By this time It was getting on for 3 and I also wanted to make a visit to the zoo which closed at 6 so made a move to get there in time to see everthing.

I must have been quite lucky as my bus turned up as soon as I got to the stop, my train came a few minutes and the bus after that wasnt far behind so made it in good time to the zoo at about 4 ish. I bought a park hopper ticket which allowed me entrance to the zoo and the night safari and was a lot cheaper then buying the tickets seperately. The zoo was really kool, I dont think I have been to one where you can get so close to the animals and most of the animals were to sectioned off by windows or a wire mesh. Clouds were hoving overhead and the sound of thunder made me thin that soon there would be rain, which there was so I ducked for cover and managed to see a sea lion show which was good timing. I didnt manage to take many photos from when It started raing but was just hoping it would stop in good time for the night safari.

I finished walking around in the rain and popped into KFC as I thought Id better get something to eat to keep me going. I chomped away at my zinger burger and had a look at the night safari leaflet I had been given. The night safari didnt open until 7 so I had an hour to put up my feet after my days walking. I got talking to some German woman called Claudia who was also going to the night safari, her english wasnt brilliant but she seemed ok.

It got to 7 and the gates to the night safari opened, by this time it had stopped raining thankd god. I had a tram pass which gave you a guided tour around the park but I decided I would take the walking route first and go on the tram afterwards. This park has over 900 nocturnal animals of 135 species and I must say Is the best thing Iv'e done in Singapore so far! Its in a rainforest and there isnt much light which makes it all the better as it just feels so real, you had to watch where you were walking though as I nearly trod on a poor little froggy. I walked all the routes and it was just so good all the animals were amazing, I especially fell in love with this little guy who was a tarsier he looked awesome.

They had these walks inside a big cage where they kept bats, you were so close you could touch them if you wanted to. I was just hoping none of them would take flight and fly right into me, It was reqally amazing to see I dont know where else this would be possible. The tram trip was really good too and went to a part of the park where you did not have access to on foot.

The last bus back to the station was at 10.30 so I had to make sure I made that or I would be getting a taxi and I didnt really have the cash for that! I decided to go watch a show that was on at 10 which was really impressive and good fun to watch but I left 5mins before the end so I made sure I was on that bus. I really need a shower now after that long hot day, but If anyone ever goes to Singapore this should definately be top of your list.

Im possibly going to go check out Sentosa Island tomorrow and get a cable car over which has a perspex bottom so you can see everything your passing over!

5 comments:

Miss Incógnita said...

Heyyy whats the name of the place your staying at??

magickev said...

Im staying at the YMCA Metropolitan Hotel.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kev, It sounds like your having a fantastic time - your journal is brilliant - I've been reading it daily!
Your probably in the sky on the way to OZ now - I'm sooo jealous!
Keep having a wonderful time and keep up with the ace journal
Lots of love
Lucy and Adam xxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Kev,

Reading your blog has become part of our daily routine - its fab!!!
You really have managed to see so many interesting sights in such a short time. We have been printing it all out for your Nan to read - she is so thrilled that you are doing so well and that you are having such a good time. Love the pics too - Ashlea says "have a lovely time" Aimee says have u learnt any new magic tricks on your travels. Keep on trekkin kev! Lots of love Margaret, Bill and Kids xxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Kev
I'm from Australia and I work with your Dad, he was telling me you were on your way to Sydney. I just wanted to let you know about the "See Sydney & Beyond Smartvisit Card" they're main website is under maintenance but if you go to this one it will give you the same details http://www.sydney.com.au/smartcard.htm. I used one last year and it saves you heaps of money. You pay for 2, 3 or a 7 day consecutive ticket. There is heaps of free activities and discounts. One thing you must do is the Jet Boat ride on Sydney Harbour it was awesome. I'm from Queensland so if you need any advice for there just let your Dad know.
Have a great trip...
Cindy