Friday, April 22, 2005

Temple Hopping

Last night I hung out in the lounge at the hostel and spoke to a few poeple who were staying here which all seemed really kool. Had a good nights sleep and went out around Kyoto with Martin and Jan both who I had met the night before. We all got a buss pass which allows you unlimted travel on the buses aroubd Kyoto for a whole day. We headed for the south east area to start with to visit Kiyomizu Temple which was so nice and the surroundings were what made it really special. We got japanese ice creams, I tried green tea and cherry which was delicious. We then walked to near by Kanninji Temple and had a look around, hopped back on the bus and headed east to Arashiyama. In arashiyama was the nonomiya temple, Tenryuji Temple which has such a beautiful zen garden. Our stomachs were rumbling so we looked for something eat eat and ended up eating in a little restaurant near the temple. I cant even remember the name of the dish I had but It was nice and filled me up.

We were going to go see the monkeys in Iwatayama but didnt want to pay so decided to jump back on the bus and head north making our way towards the golden pavillion (kinkakuji Temple). We stopped off at the Ninnanji Temple on the way but the golden pavillion closed at five so we only had a few minuted there before we got back onto a crammed bus to the Golden Pavillion. We decided to makwe this the last stop and it was such a good temple to top off our day of temple hopping. Its actually covered in real gold leaves and looks amazing, It was good to see a temple that was a bit different from the rest.

After we got back to the hostel me and martin decided we would go and check out the local Sento (public bath). I though I may as well try it out as im here so what the heck. We didnt have a clue about the procedure but kinda worked it out after a bit if debating. Basically you took your shoes off outside, went inside and got undressed (yep totally naked) and went to wash yourself before entereing the bath. The baths are thought of as a passtime rather than a method of washing and it is though of as dirty to get in before washing first. Anyway we got into this super hot bath I mean it was boiling!!! My legs were tingling and I wondered how long I would actually last, but after a few minutes it got better but still felt boiling hot. After a few minutes of pain I got in the next bath which was warm rather than hot and had bubble pumped into it kinda similar to a jacuzzi. After that was the cold bath which was totally the other extereme and was freezing. I had to gradually lower myself in but once I had sorted out my body temperature it was real nice. I kinda felt a bit dizzy I guess this was because of the drastic change to my body, and when I took a breath of air it felt like I was inhaling menthol fumes it was quite bizzare. At least I can say I have done it and it was definately an experience. Gonna spend another day in Kyoto tomorrow I reckon and see some of the temples I didnt get round to seeing today.

No comments: