Monday, April 18, 2005

Old Tokyo and New

After my two hours sleep I took the subway to Asakusa to go see the Sensoji Temple, when I got to Asakusa I headed to Nakamise which is a 100m street from the Kaminarimon Gate to the Hozomon Gate which is lined with about 90 stores dating back to the Edo period. The walk through Nakamise leads to Sensoji Temple, which is the biggest temp[le I have seen so far. Inside there is some kind of shrine that the japanese men and women were praying or worshipping i wasnt quite sure. Around the temple were other small shrines that were being bowed to and had candles being lit for them. After exploring the street connected to the Temple I walked towards The Sumidagawa River to catch the river bus down to Hama-riku Gardens in Shiodome. Hama-rikyu Gardens were really nice, not as pretty as the other gardens I had seen but still worth a loI ok. After I had finished wandering around the gardens I got the Subway to Shiodome and then the Yurikamome Line To Odaiba.

Odaiba is a hugh amusement zone on a man made island. I first checked out Palette Town where I entered a hugh arcade where there were loads of japanese kids with buckets of tokens pouring them into the machines it was amazing. There were also a few shops near by that I had a look at but they were nothing special and I need food so i decided to go back to Minami-senju where Im staying to get dinner.

When I got back to the Hotel I bumped into Thomas so we went to a nearby restaurant for soup and noodles, I had duck in mine which was really nice and a nice glass of japanese tea. I think i can improve on my chopstick skills and my slurping wasnt really up to scratch. Tomorrow I think in gonna check out Akihabara which is the electric products district and I also want to go up Tokyo Tower.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey kev, sounds like your having fun ! interesting reading so far keep it up :)

Dom

Anonymous said...

heyy kev! hows it going? it soundsl ike u are having a good time.. im pretty much gona leave u a comment or 2 as u go along.. im yet to read anything u have done coz it looked really long and im well lazy!! but take care and im sure i'll read ur storys soon..
c u soon globe trotter