Monday, April 25, 2005

Himeji

Went to the train station and got by breakfast from the bakery again, reserved my seat on the train and went to the platform to wait. There were a couple of trains that zoomed through the staion while I was waiting, I havnt got a clue what speed but it was so fast youve really got to see it to believe it! One also passed when I had borded the train and it shook side to side haha. Anyway I went to Himeji today to see the Castle, bought a combination ticket which allowed me entry to the castle and the gardens just up the road.

It was a really nice day again today, I have proof of how nice it was yesterday from my red nose haha. I got a map from the ticket office and made ,y way around the route. I first went up into the west bailey building which you had to take your shoes off to enter. You put your shoes into a plastic bag and carry them with you, they give you some slippers to wear but all the ones they have everywhere are always to small for my feet. If you attempt walking up and down stairs in these things you know theyve got disaster written all over them. I opted to just walk in my socks which I found much easier. While im on the topic of these slippers you also have to wear them in the hostels, hotels etc. They also have different pairs for when you go in the bathroom, which on many occassions I found have found my self walking around with slippers on that have TOILET written on them in big letters haha.

Back to the Castle anyway, I followed the maps route and had a good look around. The castle was quite outstanding and I got some good photos of it. Its constructed with rocks as foundations and a wooden structure. There was a model of its structure and it looked quite amazing. You were able to climb up to the 6th floor which was pretty much the top and gave you a really good view across Himeji. Its not as great to look at as Tokyo but was still pretty kool. After Id finished looking around the castle I went to see what the gardens were like just down the road.

The gardens (Himeji Koko-en) are composed of nine seperate gardens, all as stunning as each other. There just so tranquil and relaxing, the huge ponds have enormous carp in them and its great to sit and watch them. I just love the way how all the gardens are designed it is truly beautiful. After I had spent some time there I made my way back to the station and got on the next train back to Kyoto station.

It was my last full day in Japan today :( so went to find out about trains to the airport tomorrow. Ive got to check in two hours before my flight so Ive reserved a seat on 8.16 from kyoto which gets to Osaka Kansai and 9.35 which should be enough time to sort myself out and check in.

No comments: