Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Electric City

Had another pretty action packed day again, got some breakfast from the convience store and made my way to Akihara the home of electrical products. When I got off the subway I couldnt work out which direction to head so ended up asking a japanese business guy who genrously showed me the way. I apologised for not being able to speak much english but at least he could understand me, I wouldnt have a clue if someone asked me a question in japanese! Anyway I managed to find the street they call "electric city" due to pretty much every store selling electrical products. Apparently this is the No. 1 place in Japan to go in terms of the abundance of items and info available. I had a walk along and looked at a few electiral gadgets but wasn't looking to buy anything so didnt think I would spend much longer there until at the end of the electrical shops were some comic and vinyl figure stores. These stores had 7 floors and were packed with stuff on every floor, the vinyl figure store was soo good I spent quite a while looking and taking pictures. I bought a cople of figures for 210yen each which is about a pound, In the uk they would be at least a fiver each so I was pretty happy.

I hadn't been to the Sony Center yet and was desperate to get my hands on a psp so I made that my next stop. The building had 8 floors but the ones I was most interested in were the product showrooms and the playstation floor. There were so many produts you could just play around with, some of which havnt even been released yet. I had a little play with the robot dog which was pretty kool and there was also this handheld pc I found pretty amazing and the flipout keyboard was a nice touch. Then I got to the floor with the PSPs on and jumped on ridge racer which is completely awesome. I think I will buy PSP before I leave america as there not out in the UK for ages and will probably cost loads.

After I finished at the Sony building I went for a sit down and a rest at Hibiya Park which was nice and relaxing. I had a look at my guide book and decided to check out Nijubashi Brige which is just outside the main entrance to the Imperial Palace. You wernt alowed to walk up to the main gates or even go in but I got a good picture so was pleased with that. I was feeling pretty hungry at this point so went and found a shop and grabbed some sandwiches which had chicken in but it was battered and had a strange sauce on but they didnt taste too bad.

Tokyo tower was my final destination for the day and got there about 5.30pm. Tokyo Tower is pretty much Tokyo's answer to the Eiffel Tower but it exceeds its height by 13m making it the world tallest free standing iron structure. There were different tickets available to go up to the observtion decks in the tower all of which were pretty expensive. You could either go up 150m for 850yen or 250m for about double. I decided the best thing to do would be to wait when it was dark so I got a night shot but that wouldnt be until about 7pm. In the end I got a ticket which allowed me to go into the wax museum, hologram exhibition, and trick art gallery though non of which were pretty good but it passed the time until 7 when it was dark and I went up to the 150m observation deck. The view from here was awesome, everything was lit up and you could see all the skyscrapers across Tokyo. I didn't stay up there for too long had a little look took some photos and made my way down again. I kept nodding off on the subway home but I was ok once I got back to the hotel and had a shower. Im gonna have another earlish night tonight as Im off to Nikko in the morning and is about an hours train journey away.

Iv'e sorted out my charger now so Im gonna try out some pictures up, I havnt done so far as I couldnt sort out my charger and wanted to save my precious battery time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin,
The pictures are great - they bring things to life!!
I recognise one or two places - especially Yoyogi park with its wierd and wonderful people lol

Have a good trip tomorrow.
Take Care
Love Dad x

Anonymous said...

hi kev,

your dad e mailed me your web page so that i could look at your photos and read about what you have been up to. the photos are excellent. happy travels.

take care

karen xxx