Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Franz Josef

From Mahinapua we went down to Pukekura and the Bushman's Centre which offered an insight into how people make a living on the coast possum trapping and helicopter deer recovery which was quite interesting, It is also the west coasts smallest town with a population of 2. There was a small museum there which had a pig in it, some eels and also possums so was more like a zoo! We also stopped there for breakfast but I wasn't too keen on trying the possum pies or possum pate so just stuck with bacon, sausage and egg. After our brief stop there we carried on our journey to Franz Josef and arrived around 2pm, which gave me good time to get my parcel posted off as it was starting to annoy me after carrying it around for a few days. We checked into our accommodation at the Rainforest Retreat and managed to get a room which only had myself, Justin and Christian in. We met Christian when he got on the bus at Greymouth and is now hanging out with me and Justin. After I had dumped all my stuff I went to the Petrol Station which also doubles up as the post office (Its a really small town) and managed to get my parcel in the post wahey!!

After that was sorted we went and got the ingrediants for our dinner which was spag bol and I added some fresh mushrooms and a pepper to the sauce. We put on a bit too much pasta so couldnt eat it all but it filled us all up and tasted good so a job well done I reckon. The Lions game wasn't too far away so we claimed our seats on the sofas and sat there until it was over. The film 'The Hunted' was on after that which I hadnt seen so watched that before retiring to my room to get a good nights sleep.

We were hopefuly doing a heli hike up the Franz Josef glacier the follwing day so had to check in for that at 10 if there were helicopters going up. We were told there was a 50% chance as the weather wasnt supposed to be that great and it didnt look too promising from the weather today but we just crossed our fingers.

No comments: