Thursday, June 02, 2005

Mission Beach

Before leaving Magnetic in the morning a few of us went out sea kayaking as it was a free activity included in our Oz bus ticket price. I had never been kayaking in the sea before so It was a really different experince from a lake/river. It was real hard work though fighting against the waves and after an hour I was glad to get back to shore and have a rest.

The ferry back to Townsville was at 12.15 so I had time to grab a shower before we set off. When we got to the ferry port there were loads of wallabys around so we all got out and took photos of the funny little creatures, there arms look so funny! There were no dolphins in sight on the ferry trip back which was a bit disspointing but nevermind. We now had a good 3 hour trip up to Mission Beach.

Everyone was supposed to be doing a short walk through the rainforest in cassowary bird district but it was a bit rainy when we got there so no-one wanted to do the walk. A few people and myself still wanted to do it so we got off while everyone else was taken to the hostel. The rain wasn't that bad at all and when we were under all the trees you couldnt even tell it was raining. The walk was pretty good but we didnt manage to spot any wildlife and had to wait around for a while before the bus driver made it back to collect us.

I was supposed to be stopping 2 night at mission beach but I managed to get a place on the bus the following day which gave me an extra day in Cairns before having to get my flight which I was pleased about as originally there were no places on the bus. The bar at the hostel had a pool competition on and the prize for the winner was $100 which was really good considering it only cost $2 to enter. I did quite well and managed to get through to the quaters, though I had been drinking for a while and made some game winning misses. I wasn't too bothered anyway and was happy I had at least got my $2 worth.

No comments: