Thursday, June 30, 2005

Snowboarding

I was really looking forward to this as I had wanted to do snowboarding for soo long!! Me, Justin, and Christian had booked two days snowboarding, the first consisting of two 1 1/2 hr beginner lessons as we had never done it before.

We went and collected our clothing the night before and just had to collect out board and boots when we got to the slopes in the morning. The bus was at 8.30 so it was another early start and took about 40mins from Queenstown to get there. We had decided to go to Coronet Peak for the first day and the Remarkables for the next. When we got there we had just about enough time to get our passes, boots and board before our lesson started and met up with the rest of the group and instructor to do a few stretches. We just went through strapping ourselves to the boards and stuff first and then went up to the beginner area to practice.

The Instructor just started with the basics such as stance and then onto heel and toe turns. It didnt take me too long to pick up and by the end of the second lesson I was able to go down the slope and make the most turns in my group :D Snowboarding was so much fun I loved every second, I just couldnt wait until the next day to hit the proper slope!!

In the evening we all went out and didnt get in until quite late after hitting a few bars, which was pretty stupid seeing we had to be up to get the bus at 8am!!!! Anyway we all managed it even if we didnt feel that great in the morning but we thought the snow would be a good cure :) When we got to the bus stop Justin decided he didnt feel well enough to get the bus, so said he was going to get the 10 o'clock bus and meet us there (haha as if)!!!

So it was just me and Christian and we wernt going to lose 2 hours of boarding to lye in bed. When we got up to the Remarkables it was really windy and like a blizzard which was pretty harsh on the face, If I didnt have any goggles it would have been hell but luckily I did. We got all kitted out and went for a practice on the beginner slope before our leson started. Now this slope was really icy and was so hard to get a grip on so I ended up bailing a few times and just hoped the sun would make an appearance and soften the snow up.

Our lesson was really good and we went through what we had done the previous day as I had forgotten a few essentials so it was a good refresh. After everyone was getting there turns good enough we got on the chair lift and made our way up to the proper slope! When we got up there the conditions were awful and you couldnt see a thing but we went down anyway which did result in my taking a few slams which rather hurt, one of which resulted in my hat and goggles flying off which then got snow all over them and made my vision even worse haha. A few slams later I eventually got to the bottom and decided to go back to the practice slope for a while and wait for it to clear up a bit.

To make it a bit more fun instead of practising our turns again the Instructor showed us one of the easiest tricks you could do which is a 360 spin on the snow. Once he had explained what to do I was pulling a few consecutive 360 spins which was wikkid.

We then finished for lunch and went to munch on the ham and cheese rolls we had prepared yum yum. We had no more lesson now so it was just us and the slope and after a few attempts we were both getting a lot better and making it all the way down which only one or two falls which was all good. By about 3ish I was completely knackered and I could feel the strain on my leg muscles so decided to call it a day, the slopes closed at 4 anyway and it gave us time to get all our stuff off and catch the bus back. Justin never turned up which was a surprise not! The lazy git. When we got back we found he had stayed in bed until about 2.30 and had not long been up haha.

In the evening we all went to watch the Lions game which was soo much fun to watch as we won hammering the opponent 109 - 6!

Unfortunately I dont have any pics from snowboarding as I thought It was too risky to take a camera, though I wish I had done as the pics would have been amazing but nevermind!

No comments: