Friday, June 17, 2005

Wellington

Wellington would be our last stop on the North Island before getting the ferry over to the South Island. On the way from River Valley we stopped off at a little town called Bulls who really wanted to imprint a memory of it in your mind. What they had done was name everything ending in bull. So for example the local bank was called bank-a-bull, the doctors was called cure-a-bull, toilets relieve-a-bull, anique shop was afford-a-bull and so on it was quite amusing. Also throughout the whole of NZ loads of small towns have decided to make themselves capitals of the world for certain things such as sheep shearing capital of the world, carrot growing capital of the world and some other bizzare things its hilarious.

We arrived in Wellington about 7pm and checked into the Base hostel there. We were supposed to be meeting back up with Chris and Stu there but when we asked we got told they had already checked out meaning they must have left Wellington already. There was no bus leaving on Friday from wellington even though we were told there was so we decided we would just spend one night in wellington and make our own way the Nelson the following day. When I asked at the reception desk ferrys for the friday I said there were none which Is why there was no Kiwi bus. If this was the case it totally messed up all my plans as the next bus and ferry were not until saturday which meant I would not arrive in Nelson until late Saturday when the post office would be shut and then leaving on Sunday the post office would also be shut nooooooooooooo!!!

I didn't know what to do as now I was unable to collect my camera which I had specifically sent to Nelson. After a while of debating what I should do I thought I would double check there was no ferry as It was a bit strange for no ferry to be leaving on a friday. So I got up the website on google and look at that there are 4 ferries! A big sigh of relief but what a stupid woman for telling me there were no ferries grrrr! I booked the tickets online and sorted out the shuttle bus to pick us up at 8 in the morning so now everything was back in place though we still didnt know how we were getting from Picton to Nelson but didnt worry about that for the time being!

Batman Begins came out today and me and Juston were despereate to see it so spent our eveing at the cinema. We went to the Empire which is apparently the biggest cinema in the southern hemisphere and is also the cinema where the LOTR films were premiered. There were leather arm chair seats inside the theatre which all had an engraved plaque on with the name of the person that sat there for the LOTR premiere i.e. director/actors and other people involved with the movie which was kool!

Batman Begins was absolutely awesome and its been such a long time since Ive been to see a movie where everyone actually applauded after it had finished. We then went back to the bar in our hostel as I had a voucher for a $10 bar tab that had been given to me by someone I met in Oz so thought I may as well use that up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

jealous as hell mate, looks like your having a great time. how much longer are you out for? loved seeing the skydive photos, that's one of the things i can't wait to do! did they say what speed you hit?

Anonymous said...

Zorbing looks like teletubby land! haha Gemma
xxxxxxxxxx

magickev said...

Hey, yea having an awesome time thanks Im not home until the 12th august so about another 7 weeks! The skydive was amazing hit approx 200kph on the freefall :)

Zorbing did look a bit like telly tubbyland yes, just a shame there were no teletubbies around - well there was this one girl who was bit tubby but I dont think that counts :D