Sunday, June 26, 2005

Nevis

Today was the big one, the Nevis Highwire bungy. Me and Justin were doing this one (I managed to talk Justin into doing this even though he said he was never going to do a bungy!) plus the lucky git won free photos and a DVD so I guess that was a good incentive too. We went to check in and get weighed before the bus came to pick us up as the site wasa good 40min ride away. When we got on the bus the driver told us it was quite windy up there today and at the moment the wind was blowing in the wrong direction which would mean we couldnt jump but we were going to go up anyway and hope the direction changed. Luckily by the time we got up there it had changed so we were able to jump woohoo!

We put on our harnesses and then went to the viewing platform to wait for the cable car to come over and get us. Where you jumped from was a suspended cable car in between two big mountains so that looked pretty scary in itself. When I got out the the suspended jump car you could see all the way down as it had a perspex bottom and it was a damn long way down well 134m. When it was my turn to jump I had some safety things strapped to my legs and then went to sit in the chair to get hooked up. Walking up to the platform was the scary part as you couldnt move your legs and were more worried about tripping and falling over the edge!! When I got to the edge I just looked forward and waited for the quick countdown before making my jump and plumeting down in a 7 second freefall towards the ground below. It was such a relief to bounce back up, the jump was just unbelieveable! On the secound bounce up there was a cord to pull which released my feet and put me in a seated position so it was more comfortable when I was winched back up to the top. I can't wait to put the pics up but Im going to have to wait until I find somewhere where I can do it :-( hopefully it wont be too long!!

By the time we got back from the Nevis it was around 4pm and we had tickets to do the Luge so made tracks to get there fast as it closed at 5 and we had 6 goes. When we got up there the advanced track was closed due to the weather as it was snowing and freezing cold, Im glad Christian had a spare pair of gloves as me hands were frozen. We managed to speed around the scenic route really fast and had taken all of our goes with 15mins to spare which was pretty good going. I was really glad to get back into the warm though and stick my hands next to the fire for a while. The first Lions vs All Blacks test match was on in a couple of hours so we went to get ready for that and made our way to the bar to watch it.

No comments: