Sunday, June 26, 2005

Queenstown / The Thrillogy

In the morning before leaving Wanaka we stopped at Puzzling World which had lots of puzzles in it funnily enough, a maze , some holograms and other visual tricks which were ok to pass the time but it wasn't anything special. The previous day a form had gone around for activites in Queenstown one of which was the AJ Hackett Bungies that I had decided to put my name down for!

There are three bungies in Queenstown, The Kawarua Bridge which is 43m and the original bungy site in NZ. The Ledge which is 47m and then The Nevis which is a whopping 134m being NZ's biggest bungy and the world's 3rd biggest. I thought I may as well do them all so paid for that along with photos from each one and a DVD of all 3 jumps! When we gt into Queenstown the Kawarua Bridge was the first stop and quite a few people from the bus had decided to do the jump. I had never done a bungy before so it was kinda scary though once I had seen a few people jump off it didnt seem that bad. When It came to my go I got strapped up, well they put towel around my legs and secured them together with a strap which at first looked really dodgy but once the strap was around it felt super safe. I was ready for the jump now and stood on the edge of the plank after having my photo taken, then it was a 5-4-3-2-1 countdown until I lept forward and made an elegant dive down heading towards the river below which I missed by about an inch!! The bungy guys said I was going to get a little dunk but I guess I must have done a big jump so the rope didnt stretch far enough :-) Once I had bounced up and down a few times it was all over and I got rescued by the raft on the river and made my way back to the top. I can't really explain the rush you get once you dive off the edge but Its amazing and even better once you know you have survived haha. My photos turned out really good and the DVD was brilliant so was all ready for the next jump that evening which was The Ledge.

When we got into Queenstown we checked into the Discovery Lodge Hostel and then went to book some more activites. I ended up booking a day trip to Milford Sound and two days Snowboarding so had the next few days all sorted. When It got to 6pm I made my way to the Gondola which took me to the top of a big mountain overlooking Queenstown and was also where I had to go for my next bungy jump The Ledge. By this time it was dark and the whole of Queenstown was lit up which looked amazing, there were a few other guys from the bus doing the jump as well so I met them at the top and made my way to the bungy site. This bungy was slightly different as instead of being attached by your feet you had a body harness and were attached to the bugy rope by your waist. This meant your legs were free and you had to take a running jump!!!

When I got up there I was still a little nervous while waiting but when It got to my go I was totally up for it and didnt bother me at all. After my countdown I took a nice long run up and made a good dive out which felt awesome. It felt like it was over so fast and I was being winched back up to the top. The photos from this jump looked amazing especially the side view just after I had jumped and Queestown is in the background all lit up and it just looks absolutely wikkid so I was really pleased with that.

Once I got back to the hostel I went and met everyone in the bar and ended up staying out until 3am so was quite a big night out and was really good fun. They have Teapots here which are basically teapots filled with a cocktail and you are given shot glasses so you can pour your own shots its a really kool novelty - more tea vicar!

No comments: