Monday, May 23, 2005

Home of the Dingoes

Everyone got up fairly early and got breakfast which was cereal and toast before getting all our stuff sorted for the day ahead. Indian Head is the most northern part of the island so we though we would start there and make our way down the Island. You had to climb up Indian Head which gave an awesome view, you could spot a few tiger sharks and rays swimming about below but there wasnt really that many about. Another group had seen a whale there and some bigger sharks, I guess we just went at the wrong time.

Lake Wobby looked so nice when looking at it from the view point the day before so we decided to go back and actually get to the lake. On the way we stopped off at The Pinnacles which was a sand formation and looked pretty spectacular. We also stopped off at Eli Creek which was awesome, I had put my swimming shorts on so had to walk through the creek holding my shorts up. Luckily my legs were just long enough to stop me getting my shorts wet at it was quite deep in parts. After walking down the creek we went and found the entrance on the Beach for the walk to Lake Wobby. This was a nice 800km walk, but it was definately worth it as Lake Wobby was so nice. It was stuated at the bottom of a huge sand dune and had cat fish swimming in it. Everyone lay in the sun and had a swim in the lake, time was pushing on again though so we had to start making our way back to the 4x4. Instead of taking the path we went over the sand dune and just head in the direction of the beach. It wasn't any quicker but it was kool just walking over all the virgin looking sand. By the time we got back to the 4x4 the sun was nearly dowm and the tide was pretty far in. I was doing most of the driving as I was the best :D

The drive back was amazing, I had to drive fairly fast to get back to camp before it got dark and also before the tide came in any further. There were a couple of times when the sea caught me out and water sprayed everywhere but it was really good fun. There were also a couple of little rivines where there was a drop in the sand on the beach that were full of water so had to be careful crossing them as by this time they had got really deep in parts. On parts of the beach there were rocks which prevented you from driving on the beach so there were detours which were a bit of a battle to get over as there were loads of huge holes in the track. I think everyone was relieved when we finally made it back to camp, and I was congratulated on my driving as no-one else would have could have done it :)

It was now time for a beer so we sat and had a few cans. Bolognese Pasta was on the menu tonight but Michael (Irish guy 1) had gone and bought some sausages and baps so had one of those first. After dinner we gotthe drinking games going again and ended up heading down to the beach as they turned the lights out at the camp around 10.30. The beach was pretty funny and I endwed up staying there till about 1am. When I got back to camp I saw Michael and we decided to go Dingo hunting as we had not seen one yet. Michael walked off and then like magic I see a dingo walk straight past our tent. I tried to get my camera out as fast as I could but only magaed to get a picture just as It was heading back into the trees. I was pleased I got to see one though as I didnt want to go back not having seen one.

No comments: