Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Kroombit

Kroombit is a cattle ranch in the middle of nowhere in between Hervey Bay and Airlie Beach. I had a load of new people to meet which was kool but its just feels so weird getting to know one group of people really well and then for them all to go their seperate ways and be replaced with strangers. Before hitting Kroombit we stopped off about halfway to do a Skooter-roo. This was basically a tour near the area of 1770 where everyone was on skooters and you went to go and spot some kangeroos!

As I had ridden one before I got to have one of the better bikes but I also aquired another passenger as there were some people who didnt have a license. We all had to follow one another and were led around by the tour leader who forget to keep cancelling her indicators which got quite annoying. We had a good ride and I managed to get about 80kph out of it (havn't got a clue what that is in mph?). We were taken to this spot where there were some skippys and we all got of our bikes to go get some close up shots with our cameras. They look quite small so I guess they must have only been young ones. There were three of them in total and we managed to get fairly close before they hopped off (I got a good video of there hopping action). Up until now I hadn't seen any kangeroos so was really pleased to have been able to, I really want to see a koala too but so far no luck with that!

It was then onto Kroombit, when we got there it actually looked quite good to what I was expecting though the dorm rooms were the smallest rooms on earth and looked like they could be the home to spiders and other creepy crawlies. They had a volleyball court so some of us had a few games before it got too dark, by which time the dinner was ready so it worked out quite well. For dinner we had soup for starters and then beef with potatoes and veg which was really nice, I even went back for seconds.

After dinner they had a few activites going on like whip cracking which I managed to do a few times but I kept catching my arm so decided to stop. Everyone put in a $1 to enter the mechanical bull competition and whoever won got the lot. I managed to stay on for 9 seconds but it hurt so much that I couldnt hang on for any longer. The girl who won managed to stay on for 68 and no-one else even came close haha. Pretty much everyone went to bed fairly early as It was going to be a really long bus ride in the morning.

We got up for breakfast at 6.30 and then loaded our stuff back in the bus for our marathon journey. Im not sure how far it was to Airlie beach but I didnt arrive until 7ish. We were supposed to be going bowling but the driver took a wrong road and we went miles off route so we ended up not having enough time. At least there was a tv and dvd player on this bus so a few films passed the time.

Im off on a 3 day 2 night Whitsundays sailing trip tomorrow so I wont be updating my blog again for a few days. Im hoping the weather will be good and Im looking forward to doing some snorkelling and diving.

No comments: